Thread: First Timers Looking For A Board(s)

Default First Timers Looking For A Board(s)

I've never wake surfed but am looking to get into it this year. I'm 5'10" and will ride at 180lbs or so. Another rider is 6 ft 190. We might have some other smaller riders (wife is 5'4" 125 or so) but at this point I don't anticipate her taking a lot of turns.

Style wise I'm thinking a surf style is going to be more of what we are after right now. I'm not opposed to the idea of a skim style and might buy both if I can find the right deal.

The main places I've been looking are the-house, evo and towanza. I've looked at Inland surfer and phase 5 mostly. I'm open though. I want something that is good quality that we won't outgrow quickly. I did notice the Ashley Kidd Pro Model from XXX that looked interesting today as well though. I'd be open to any good brand since I know virtually nothing. I don't want to go with a wakeboard brand board though.

Budget wise, I'd say around 6-700 for a single board would be where I'm comfortable at. Thats the top end though - I'd prefer something less but I realize it gets harder to find good stuff at the lower price points. Any advice?

I think the Phase 5 Colt would be a great board for your crew. It is super easy to ride. It is a hybrid style which would work well for you guys since you dont know which style works best for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
    I think the Phase 5 Colt would be a great board for your crew. It is super easy to ride. It is a hybrid style which would work well for you guys since you dont know which style works best for you guys.
    Thanks for the feedback. In the event that the wife does want some turns, would that board be too big for her?

it will be fine for her at a recreational level

Well after much (read too much) thinking, I ended up going with the Black Pearl. I talked with a few others which also brought up the Colt, but I kept going back to the BP. I added 2 Delta 6 fins for the outside slots to tighten it up a bit.

We should be able to get it the end of this week and take it out on Saturday. Thanks for the feedback though and hey, there's always another board to buy right?

I learned a lot on the Black Pearl: 360s, shuvs, and more. You guys will like it a lot.
    I recommend starting out with the three fins, but then once you learn how to ride ropeless, take out the side fins. The longer you wait to ride with a single fin, the more awkward it will feel down the road. Or maybe alternate sets, so one set with 3 fins, and then next with 1 fin. You will learn good board control that way.

I have a nice Phase 5 Trident that i will sell you for 350. Retail is 740.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubugme2 View Post
    I have a nice Phase 5 Trident that i will sell you for 350. Retail is 740.
    I might be interested in that board....what kinda shape is it in? Do u have any pictures

Board is used but is in perfect shape. It is signed and was only rode by Drew Danelo. I can get you pictures thus week. Text me at 316-708-28two two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubugme2 View Post
    Board is used but is in perfect shape. It is signed and was only rode by Drew Danelo. I can get you pictures thus week. Text me at 316-708-28two two.

Any luck getting those pictures.....Thanks....