Thread: 08' MC X-45 for wakesurfing

Default 08' MC X-45 for wakesurfing

So I have a 2008 X-45.

It has stock ballast of 1000#'s (700 in back and 300 in the locker). I had added 520# under the front seats and 2 400#'s in the rear lockers on both sides of the engine.

I want to upgrade the rear bags to max out my ballast. I'm thinking of putting the 1100# bags back there but they will probably only fill to 800 due to space. I can also probably put the 400's under the side seats. So bags won't be an option.

My questions are:

How much is too much? What is the consensus on ballasting +3500# vs. the displacement of the boat?

and

Has anybody done anything with trim tabs? In my head it seams you could keep some water on the opposite side of the surfer and with trim tabs be able to drive that extra weight down into the water.

Has anybody tried ballasting everything and used trim tabs to get the list they need?

Fred

We surf behind a 2007 X45 with stock ballast of 250 port side and 500 in KGB. I have added the FH 1100 on top of the stock (holds about 800). I have also installed a custom made 10 ft FH sac that runs under cooler seat all the way to front of board locker (holds about 800). I have about 400 in pop bags that fill in the slot in the board locker and around the port side vent hose. So that is about 2800...which is under the 2970 guideline for the X45. Now, we will usually surf with around 400 in people weight on the surf side...but remember the limitation is just a guideline. It is up to you to decide what feels safe for you. We are always careful to surf during calm, low traffic conditions. And never turn back into your rollers.

We do not have the surf tabs....I have read mixed reviews on Team Talk on how the surf tabs really help with the wake. We do have the trim tab and surf with it all the way up. We feel that deploying the trim tab will only knock the wake down and take away the push.

Probably the most important modification we did to our 45 was replace the stock swim deck with a custom deck that is smaller and has no lip on the underside. This really helped to clean up the wake. Arizona Luxury Marine has the custom deck that will fit the 45.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike. Great info, thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to upgrade to the 1100's. and go from their. I have a 6' bag that can go under my cooler seat and I can always put the 400's on top of the seats. I was at Pleasant yesterday and tried playing with the ballast's to dial in the surf wake. I think your right about messing with the swim platform. The more weight I added didn't improve the wake the way I thought it should. I think the platform is acting like a trim tab and is knocking it down. Also, there's nothing pleasant about Pleasant on the weekends. The water was too choppy to do much of anything out there.

Also, We're in Buckeye. I noticed your in Litchfield. Do you guys frequent Pleasant? We usually go to Roosevelt for the entire weekend, but it's just not warm enough yet. So Pleasant it is until Memorial day.

Blog Entries

Thanks Mike, when I saw this post, I was going to hit you up, glad you got to it! Good looking wake. What is it like on the goofy side? Similar?

Angie sure is rocking it on that Soulcraft.

Mike. I was reviewing my video from the weekend and the swim platform is definitely messing up the wake. I'm going to research a different swim platform.
    Fred

Fred. Glad to help. Would love to see more wakesurfers out at Pleasant. The reason you do not see another boat in the video is because we surf only during the week and early in the morning. Rarely do we even go to Pleasant on the weekends, and if we do it is not to surf only to watch all the craziness. You have the right idea on the ballast. And, the 45 really likes weight toward the front (helps extend the pocket). That's why I would suggest filling a 400 in the board locker or use some pop bags. I will also use a 400 on the seat if we only have 3 surfers.

You are also absolutely right about the swim platform. We did not get a nice long, clean wake until we customized the platform. I duplicated a project that Ragboy posted on Wake9. I took a piece of 3/4 plywood and cut it down as much as I could and still have a usable deck. I took the design to Mastercraft of Arizona (now Arizona Luxury Marine) and they had the fiberglass guy make a nice platform. They still have the design and can order one to match your boat. Talk to Jim...He will set you up.

Would love to get together with you guys and share/help with your project. We are surfing on this Wed, PM me if you want to join us at any time. (This is why ragboy does what he does....To get guys like us together and spread the joy).

Robert. Never tried the dark side. Will probably need to tow the boat out to Nor Cal and get your help on that. Angie loves the new Soulcraft, but she got a crack in the rail (probably from all those giant airs, lol). Jeff is making her another board, gonna try getting her into a more squash tail design like RJ's. I tease her that every time she gets a new bikini she wants a new board to match the color...She likes to accessorize. Keep up the good work. See you soon.

OK Mike, I ordered the 1100# bags to replace the 400's. Ill use the 400's where the cooler locker is. I'm going to call Jim about the swim platform Tuesday. If this doesn't work, at least I know where you surf...

Fred

Hey Mike, Can you send me a picture of your platform?

Fred

vman, I totally agree with you towing your boat up here to Nor-Cal, too bad you arnt coming this weekend to the wakesurf open. If you make the trip up here let us know!!!!

Fred. Sent you a pm with the pics.

havin. So wish we could make it. Will let you know when we come your way.